Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello from Houston,TX
01-16-2017, 12:27 AM
Hello from Houston,TX
Hi together,

bought my first panstamp items, two battery boards and a Raspberry shield to build a supervise humidity in the basement of our vacation home. This to avoid to have the timber log start to rotten with too high humidity.
It will be controlled from a RPI which also is then accessible remotely via GSM/4G network.

Got the battery boards running and currently using the panstamp Tools GUI JAVA program from G. Le Grange to see and test.

Currently struggling to test the range of the battery boards with the on board antenna and using SMA antenna on receiving side.
With the on board antenna I do not get more than 5m distance. I test with a small (10cm) straight cable soldered on the 2nd board, and reach 15m open view distance.

Next step will be do get the RPI shield running and develop necessary application to read back the sensor values.

Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2017, 04:32 AM
RE: Hello from Houston,TX
Hi Martin,

That's a tremendous short distance. Are you running the modules at the default speed (38400 bps)? Are you getting the same distance from both battery-boards?

Have you a panStick? Using it as your receiver would help us discard any eventual problem on your RPi shield.

Daniel Berenguer
http://www.panstamp.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-16-2017, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2017 05:15 AM by mernst.)
Daniel,
I have nothing changed on the battery boards. I also do not have changed the TX power and left as original.
Yes, I currently use the PanStick to receive the data and display with the Java application from Gideon.
I did not manage to get swapdmt to run on PC.

Indeed I have now also serious trouble with one of the battery boards not working at more than 10 cm distance! I did send you an email with the plots of the RSSI values though.

Lastly I currently try to get the RPI shield working on the raspberry, but with mixed results. Somehow the board - which perfectly worked when setting up on the panstick and received data as well (I checked with a serial terminal program inside the Arduino IDE), is cyclically resetting on the RPI. Strange, as GPIO 7 is used for the reset and as per gpio readall shows up as IN, so cannot be the problem.

rgds
Martin

Hi,
as update: after doing a full update and dist-upgrade on the RPI, and restarting it 3 times, I am now able to access the RPI shield without problems.
swapdmt GUI software and swapdmt-cmd software are both running.
Still the range problem persists.
rgds
Martin
Find all posts by this user
01-16-2017, 06:36 PM
Hi Martin,

OK, I read your e-mail this morning. This seems to be a hardware problem so I'm getting in touch with you by e-mail.

Daniel Berenguer
http://www.panstamp.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user