Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it possible to program ESP8266 from another microcontroller?
02-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Is it possible to program ESP8266 from another microcontroller?
I am using PL2303 USB to TTL adapter to program ESP8266, but I do not want to unplug it from system and plug it into PL2303 all the time. That's why I want to program it in system, with my AVR (the AVR is already connected to ESP8266 in the device that I intended to build).

What I want to achieve is that I just restart ESP8266 in flash mode (by hand. It is not a big deal, I can do it myself) and program it using AVR.

I could not ask a clearer question, because I couldn't think of any close solution. Please tolerate my confusion.

NOTE: Uploading a code to AVR which makes AVR act like USB to TTL adapter can be an option for me. That way, I can upload the code I wrote for ESP8266 through AVR.

NOTE 2: I am seeking for a help that eliminates the requirement of PL2303 and use directly AVR to program ESP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2017, 07:41 PM
RE: Is it possible to program ESP8266 from another microcontroller?
Hi @kyson,

You'll probably want to visit a more related forum: http://www.esp8266.com/viewforum.php?f=8

You'll need to program your AVR with a valid firmware loader for the ESP8266. No idea if this firmware already exists.

Daniel Berenguer
http://www.panstamp.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2017, 10:54 PM
RE: Is it possible to program ESP8266 from another microcontroller?
You see, your question is indeed clear, and the answer is as clear as well : YES (it is possible). But that doesn't mean it is simple ;-)

First the ESP has a very large flash (4Mb), and is fast compared to an AVR 8bit/32k. So using AVR as a programmer can likely slow down your programming a lot. So let's first assume time is not an issue (minutes!).

Then you need to decide how you use your "system" at the time of programming : first the HW : do you have a 328P with HWserial connected to ESP8266 ? 115kbaud ? what is the "other" connection ? (between PC and AVR) ? Then the "system" Can your AVR host at the same time its "normal" application and it's "programmer" one or not ? If no, you'll have to reprogram the AVR both before and after the ESP programming. Then the SW : as Daniel said, you have to find an AVR program that bridges the ESP to the PC. Or make it.
Find all posts by this user